Brief Historical Background of the District
The Territory now known as District Pali was Carved out of the erstwhile princely state of Jodhpur of which it was an important part. The district is named after the chief town, Pali, which is a diminutive of Pallika occurring in an old inscription. The region was rich in heritage as is seen from famous Jain monuments at Ranakpur and elsewhere. Pali was an important mark in olden time, where merchandise from faraway lands like China and Middle-East were brought and sold.
The authentic history of the tract, however, begins with the founding of the Chauhan dynasty at Nadol in 10th century A.D. by one Raval Lakha and making its influence felt in parts of Mewar and Gujarat. Anahilla the eighth ruler of the line is said to have crossed swords with Mahmud of Ghazni in 1025 A.D. near Somnath in Gujarat. In 1197 A.D. his another Powerful successor, Jayatismha, fought against Qutbuddin Aibak at Ajmer. In 1294 A.D. the Rathors came on the scene; but in the absence of authentic records, the history of 13th and 14th centuries is full of controversies and hence obscure. The local chronicles and genealogical descriptions throw up a mass of information which, the scholars feel, is full of contradiction. The Rathors and the Muslim invaders were at war, and sometimes a valiant personality attracted the attention of the public. One such personality was Jodha, the founder of Jodhpur in 1459 A.D. After his death in 1489 A.D. his numerous sons established themselves in independent principalities in the surrounding region.
The history of the next four centuries i.e. till the end of 18th century is a lengthy account of indifferent successors and their fights among themselves or with the Muslim commanders of the Delhi sovereigns. The most notable ruler who stands out prominently was Maldeo (1532-1562) who expanded his kingdom enormously and brought it in contact with the imperial territories of Agra and Delhi. This was during the time of Sher Shah. After the death of Maldeo, however, Jodhpur was again overrun by the Mughals.
With the death of Aurangzeb in 1707 A.D., the Mughal Empire began to disintegrate and Rajputana became a battlefield for new aspirants of hegemony in North India, to try their strength. The Marathas and the Pindaris, the ruler of Malwa and Gujarat made inroads and spread devastation and misery all round. Even though the Marathas suffered a heavy blow at the battle of Lalsot in 1787 A.D. they were not totally crushed. Their incursions in Rajasthan stopped only after 1818 A.D. when Chhatar Singh of Jodhpur signed a treaty with the British.
The state was merged in the United State of Greater Rajasthan in 1949 by Hanuwant Singh, a successor of Umaid Singh. The present district of Pali with certain adjustment of territories was thereafter brought into existence. At the times of Creation of Pali district in 1949, it consisted of four sub-divisions viz. Jaitaran, Pali, Bali and Sojat and six tehsils, namely, Jaitaran, Pali, Bali, Sojat, Desuri and Sendra. Later Sendra tehsil was abolished and Raipur and Kharchi tehsil were then created during the period 1951-61.
The district is almost snail-like in shape and resembles an irregular triangle with undulated plains and scattered hills. The district lies between 24° 45' and 26° 29' north latitudes and 72°47' and 74°18' east longitudes. It shares a common border with eight districts of Rajasthan. In the north it is bounded by Nagaur and Jodhpur districts, on the west by Barmer district, on the south-east by Rajsamand and Udaipur districts, on the north-east by Ajmer district and Sirohi and Jalore districts are on south and south-west respectively. The district has a total geographical area of 12387 Sq. Km.
|Provisional Census Population-2011||Total||Male||Female|
|Density (Person per sq. km.)||165|
|Percentage Decadal Growth(2001-2011)||11.99|